IPL Acne Treatment
Many people who suffer from acne often try many of the various over the counter acne treatments with little to no success.
Intense Pulse Light (IPL) is a way to safely treat acne with little to no downtime. IPL is not only gentle treatment, but it also addresses the Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) bacteria, as well as the pigmentation and redness of your skin.
What causes acne?
When the skin’s sebaceous glands produce too much oil, the oil can clog the pores at the skin’s surface, and also provides an ideal environment for the bacteria P. acnes to grow unchecked. As a result, pimples, whiteheads, blackheads and inflammation can appear.
Complications can occur in acne if it’s left untreated, when the inflammation occurs, it can rupture and lead to scarring.
Intense Pulse Light (IPL) Treatment
We understand that living and coping with acne and any resultant scarring can leave a people feeling less confident.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatment is a great way to gain back that confidence. IPL acne treatment is a safe and a non-invasive and non-surgical skin treating procedure.
The aim of IPL acne treatment is to:
- Unplug blocked pores
- Kill or reduce bacteria
- Reduce skin inflammation
- Prevents the creation of sebum
Is IPL safe for the treatment of acne?
IPL, is quite possibly one of the safest acne treatments available. It’s proven to be extremely effective on inflammatory acne. Its technology uses light that is UV-safe and has no known side effects.
The IPL acne treatment destroys the most common bacteria that cause acne — without drugs, without pain and without downtime. The IPL system has FDA clearance for the treatment of acne.
How does IPL work?
The IPL system filters light from a flash lamp in two targeted ways to ensure that only light with the appropriate wavelength can reach the skin to prevent future acne.
When the light hits the skin, hemoglobin, the red pigment in the blood, absorbs this light and heats up in the fine blood vessels that supply the sebaceous glands. When this happens, it causes a minor injury to the sebaceous glands, which decreases the overproduction of oil that leads to acne.
Why consider IPL Acne Control Treatment?
- This treatment is widely recognised as an effective solution for mild to moderate Inflammatory Acne.
- It destroys the major bacterial cause of Acne, Propionibacterium Acnes.
- The Intense Pulse Light treatments greatly reduce the number of active lesions, lessening the inflammation and frequency of breakouts.
- The IPL works within the skin causing no damage, irritation or downtime.
Benefits of IPL treatment at LaserLife Clinic
- The hemoglobin absorbs the IPL light, which heats up the area producing a minor reaction to the sebaceous glands. This will slow down the production of oil that leads to Acne and enlarged pore size.
- Our system penetrates deeply into the skin, heating the overactive sebaceous glands and reducing sebum output. It’s thought that reversible thermal damage to sebaceous glands can result in long term remission from acne.
- The IPL Treatment will also produce new collagen which means there will be fewer scars, fine lines and wrinkles.
- We only use Yellow light. Recent studies indicate that Yellow light, which has a greater skin penetration depth than blue light is more effective at targeting the bacteria that causes Acne.
Step 1 – Book a Free Consultation
Prior to treatment you must first undergo a consultation where we will obtain details about your medical history to confirm suitability. Before proceeding we will ask you to sign a consent form and undergo a patch test 24 hours before treatment.
The Treatment Process
With IPL a layer of chilled gel is first applied to the treatment area. The light applicator is then placed on the skin and a short pulsed light is released. The applicator is then moved to the neighbouring area where we will repeat the process until the entire area has received treatment.
Following on, our clinician will remove the gel and apply aloe vera and SPF to the treated area.
During the treatment, we will provide you with protective eyewear. You shouldn’t need any anesthesia during treating. Most clients describe the discomfort as mild and tolerable.
Little to no downtime!
The treated area may feel warm and sensitive for the first few days post-treatment.
Please follow any aftercare recommendations
- Avoid sun exposure for up to 30 days prior to treatment.
- No fake tan or gradual tan for 10 days prior to treatment
- Do not use topical retinol products in the treated area 3 days prior to treatment.
- We recommend 6 sessions 2 weeks apart for best results.
Acne Treatment Prices
In order to determine how much your acne treatment will cost, we will need to see you for a consultation before giving you a price. This is because no two people or conditions are the same and we will need to look at your skin and the severity of your acne to determine how many treatments you will need in order to achieve maximum results.
Our consultations are free and are a great way to discuss treatment. Please contact us to book a consultation.
We offer finance at 0% APR to our clients. You can now pay in installments for any treatment in our range providing it has a minimum value of £250 and you pay a 10% deposit upfront. Applicants can choose between either a 6, 9, 10 or 12-month repayment plan making our state of the art treatments more affordable. If you’re interested in applying, please click here.